I will close with our heart stopping event that happened just minutes ago. Irelyn is an avid crawler with a great love of the stairs. I think the stairs to Irelyn represent being transported to a fun and exciting world. And surprisingly enough, she has a natural knack for the stairs. She has had opportunities to practice them with one of us following behind her and she can make it all the way up... just not so great at going down. So, to deter her from the stairs I place the gate on the first step and just prop it through the first two rungs of the bannister. It has worked... she doesn't try to move it or anything... until now that is.
So, I'm working in the kitchen and everything is good, I peek out and see her by the stairs, but she likes to play with the little door stopper thing on the wall because it makes a funny noise, so I didn't think anything of it. The next time I peek out I notice it's a little quieter than normal... and the gate is pushed to the side. Alarms go off in my head as I go running across the room to the stairs because what I am constantly aware of is that our stairs are a straight shot down to a tile landing... I get there and no baby at the bottom and no baby on the stairs. I continue running up the stairs and here comes little, exuberant Irelyn crawling out of her room. She was so proud of herself for making it all the way up. "Look mom I crawled up, and you didn't know, and I did it all by myself and have been playing in my room!"... Wow... I had to stop for a moment and get over the thoughts of what could have been...grateful that she made it safely up the stairs. But she was fine... now to just find a more secure way to attach the gate.
ha, That's the feeling I had when I found her playing with scissors in her play-pen!
ReplyDeleteGlad she managed the stairs without a fall, made it past the loft that is off limits to her-bookcase, keyboard, plugins etc... hmmm-maybe your landlords will have to get involved in putting something in a little more secure to keep her off the steps for a while :) Hilary-your comment makes me think she has had a couple of close calls in her short life :) Whew-and it is just the beginning~
ReplyDeleteUm ya-hate those "heart stopping" moments! They're so fast and sneaky. Can't wait to see her soon!
ReplyDelete