Monday, November 22, 2010

Starting Out


Irelyn is 7 weeks old now as of Saturday and I can't believe how quickly the time has gone by! Katie, I especially feel like I haven't kept you updated about Irelyn, so here is a little of how the last 7 weeks have been. Irelyn has really been a pretty easy baby (I thought and thought but couldn't find a better word, I really hate labeling babies good/easy or bad/difficult so that's the only time I will do it =)). She is a good sleeper and loves to eat, and pretty flexible throughout the day. For a while though it seemed like she was fussy if she wasn't eating or sleeping, and it got a little frustrating. But after reading a very insightful book, we have these tools in our pockets that have worked every time! Except for when it's time to eat, because like I said she likes to eat! Casey and I were talking tonight about her personality and the traits that we think we will continue to see and we decided that she will probably continue to be fairly laid back and we can also tell she also likes to feel connected to us and know that we are there with her. It will be so interesting to see how those things continue to show up as she grows.


Last week was a big week for Irelyn. We started the week by putting our Christmas tree up and decorating it. We are excited to celebrate our first Christmas with our new addition. We even started Christmas shopping this last weekend for her presents. Mommy and Daddy both have lists of things we want for her! =) (btw- she really doesn't look like herself in this pic to me)

Last week Irelyn also got to come along with me to my first work meeting since being out on maternity leave. As much as I would rather not work, it felt good to have something to go to. It was a very odd feeling walking on a college campus with a stroller. I don't know what gets more looks- being 8 months pregnant on campus or pushing a baby stroller. Anyhoo, Irelyn stole the show- they had fun getting to see her and she did so well! She slept through the whole meeting. I was sweating though, afraid she was going to wake up and interrupt the whole thing. I will say, I am definitely blessed to be in a child development program. Otherwise I don't think they would so readily welcome an infant in the workplace =).

Irelyn is becoming very smiley, and it is so cute to see her smile at us. She has two adorable dimples that pop out when she smiles and it is such a sweet feeling to have her smile at my antics. =) I haven't caught one in a picture yet though- her smiles are somewhat illusive, and it's also tricky to make her smile with a camera in my face- so it'll be a two person job.

She is also starting to have a lot more different facial expressions and vocal sounds than before. Her sounds are becoming more expressive (and if I didn't know better almost meaningful). There are times when Casey and I are talking to her that she opens up her mouth wide, but no sound comes out. It looks like she has so much to say back to us, but she just doesn't have the words or sounds to do it yet. Those words will come before we know it, I'm sure.


So far it has been a really good 7 weeks, and she is growing so quickly. I've really enjoyed being a mom so far, but with each week I begin to like it more and more. It is fun dressing her and taking care of her, and watching all of her developmental milestones, but at the end of the day the feeling that is the best is when she just wants to come to me to be cuddled =). There are some things moms do best I guess. =)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you have your blog up and going. She looks so cute in her jeans and vest! I can't believe she's wearing jeans! She looks like Casey in the christmas tree picture. What a little cutie. She's just precious! Give her lots of love and kisses from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (by the way this is Katie, not Andrew, although I'm sure you'll be able to tell by the writing style:) I LOVED reading this...you are a great writer...I almost cried b/c I miss you guys so much and I wish I could see this little one you are talking about (and you and Casey too). I will see you soon though...one month! Please keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are enjoying it Katie! I will try and keep up with our fun adventures and pictures of Irelyn =)

    ReplyDelete